Capt. Clifford E. Babson, USMM, CEM, CMVP, CEA, BESA, LEED AP(BD&C)
Cliff is a former ships’ captain, with over 25 years in Energy and Facility Management. He holds or has held credentials by the Association of Energy Engineers as a “Certified Energy Manger (CEM)”, “Certified Measurement and Verification Professional (CMVP)”, “Certified Energy Auditor (CEA)”, and “Building Energy Simulation Analyst (BESA)”. He is accredited by the US Green Building Council as a LEED AP(BD&C). He holds, or has held, multiple specialty certifications from the Building Performance Institute, including Building Analyst, Envelope Professional, Heating Specialist, and Multifamily Building Analyst, and was also certified by the Residential Energy Network as a HERS Rater.
In his current role at PSD, Cliff is involved with Commercial Energy Auditing, Energy Modeling, Program Support, and Training. Cliff is a practicing Energy Auditor with a Multifamily Specialty, and has also worked as an Engineering Manager/Director in several large Multifamily and Commerical Buildings including a 270 unit high rise building, 180 unit mixed use building, and a 250,000 sqft high rise Commercial Building.
Cliff is the former owner and principal of Four Points Energy Solutions, a Better Business Bureau accredited energy efficiency consultancy, offering Commercial and multifamily energy audits, training, content development, Energy Procurement, and Energy consulting. He is also a past Executive Director of the Building Performance Contractors Association of NY State.
Cliff developed a Multifamily Building Analyst curriculum in 2010 and has taught the class approximately 25 times, the curriculum is currently licensed to 7 entities across the US. Student feedback ratings have averaged in excess of 4.3, on a scale of 1-5, with a strong positive feedback and high pass rate (>87%). Cliff has also taught BPI Building Analyst, Envelope Professional, and Heating Specialist courses in addition to Northwest Energy Efficiency Council Building Operator Certification, and Various TREAT and ASSET Score energy modeling courses. Cliff has also taught college level credit course in Energy and Sustainability in the Physics Dept. of Ithaca College in the fall of 2013.
- Ithaca College, Physics dept.: PHY143 Sustainable Energy: Powering the World
- Building Operator Certification – Northwest Energy Efficiency Consortium: BOC1001 -Energy Efficient Operation of Building HVAC Systems, BOC1002 -Measuring and Benchmarking Energy Performance, BOC1004 -HVAC Controls Fundamentals, BOC1006 -Common Opportunities for Low-Cost Operational Improvement, BOC1008 -O&M Practices for Sustainable Buildings, BOC1009 -Building Scoping for Operational Improvement, BOC203 -HVAC Troubleshooting and Maintenance.
- Building Performance Institute: Multifamily Building Analyst, Heating Professional, Envelope Professional, Building Analyst
- New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) – Emerging Technologies Advisory Committee
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) – Multifamily Building Operators Job Task Analysis workgroup
- Air Barrier Association of America – Large Building Air Tightness Testing Technical committee
- Building Performance Institute – Multifamily Building Analyst Standards working group of the Standards committee
- Ithaca Residential Home Energy Score Project – Advisory Committee
- Ithaca High Performance Building District (2030 District) – Steering and Technical Committees
Professional Associations – Current or former member of the following professional associations
- American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
- Association of Energy Engineers (AEE)
- Building Performance Contractors Association (BPCA)
- Illuminating Engineers Society of North America (IESNA)
- Air Barrier Association of America (ABAA)
- United States Green Building Council (USGBC)
- Northeast Home Energy Rating System Alliance (NEHERS)
- Residential Energy Services Network (RESNET)