PSD is seeking an experienced educator with a background in building science and energy codes to develop and present energy code training programs for building code officials, builders, architects, engineers, and building energy efficiency professionals.
The Energy Codes Training Specialist will work in a dynamic team environment providing technical expertise, training, analysis, and outreach for PSD’s new construction and codes work. Under the supervision of the Director of Codes & New Construction, the specialist will support energy code training and provide new homes technical support for our utility programs, including developing building models. This position is based in Pennsylvania or New York, ideally in our Philadelphia or Ithaca offices.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Develop classroom and online residential and commercial building energy code training programs that incorporate best-practice techniques for audience engagement. Audience engagement activities may include test-your-knowledge questions, guided discussions, plan review exercises, mock inspections, and games.
- Present in-person and online energy code training programs to audiences that include building code officials, builders, architects, engineers, and energy efficiency professionals.
- Ability to meet deadlines and arrive to events punctually and fully prepared.
- Developing and reviewing single-family & multifamily building models (e.g., REM/Rate, Ekotrope)
- Providing guidance to raters and builders on optimizing plans and models to maximize incentive eligibility in New Home programs managed by PSD
- Frequent travel throughout the Mid-Atlantic & New England regions, including overnight stays.
Minimum Requirements: Five plus years’ experience in code compliance. Proven oral and written communication skills. Excellent interpersonal skills. Proficient in a variety of common software applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, as well as modeling tools including REM/Rate and Ekotrope. Demonstrated:
- Experience developing, using, or teaching energy codes, including the 2009, 2012, 2015, and 2018 versions of the International Energy Conservation Codes and the 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016 versions of ASHRAE 90.1.
- Experience in building code enforcement, construction, design, or energy efficiency performance testing and commissioning.
- Strong public speaking and social skills, particularly in the context of interacting building code enforcement, design, and construction professionals.
- In-depth knowledge and experience using Microsoft PowerPoint
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Pass a criminal background check
Preferred Requirements: HERS Rater certification highly desired; additional building science certifications. Experience in construction and/or the HVAC industry. Spanish or other language skills, a plus.
Physical Demands: Frequent use of the computer requiring periods of sitting and close audio visual concentration. Ability to lift 50 lbs. Ability to walk through houses carrying equipment and crawl through small spaces. Frequent travel throughout the Mid-Atlantic & New England regions, including overnight stays
Salary: Competitive salary; commensurate with education, qualifications, and experience.
Benefits: Health Insurance, 401K savings plan, Life Insurance, Long Term Disability Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, Paid Holidays, and a generous Paid Benefit Time program
Please submit the form below to apply for this position. Candidates interested in staff positions only; no recruiters, 3rd party agencies, or outsourcing firms.
About PSD: We are nationally recognized for our work in the building science and energy efficiency (EE) industries. We focus on the development and delivery of creative and powerful solutions for energy efficiency programs and professionals. Our company provides a whole-systems approach to EE strategies through our work on advancing energy policies, designing and delivering cost-effective EE programs, and building software tools to improve data tracking.
Diversity and Inclusiveness: PSD strives to create a diverse and inclusive workplace. We highly encourage qualified applicants regardless of age, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any combination of these or related factors, to submit an application for consideration.
Performance Systems Development of NY, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer