2 Locations - Philadelphia + Washington D.C
OpenStudio Classroom Training
This 2-day hands-on course will ensure your staff can fully leverage the free NREL OpenStudio platform to easily generate powerful, flexible models for energy analysis.
- Learn effective modeling workflows for using the OpenStudio Sketchup Plugin to construct building form and fabric and assigning space attributes.
- Configure HVAC and service hot water systems using the OpenStudio Application.
- Leverage integration with NREL’s Building Component Library (BCL), to access libraries of pre-defined, configurable energy conservation measures.
- Use PAT (Parametric Analysis Tool) to configure model variants that can be run in a cloud computing environments (Amazon EC2).
- Learn how Ruby Scripting can support creation of custom energy conservation measures and for generating useful summary and detailed output.
- Learn to use the OpenStudio modeling ecosystem to effectively model the energy and lighting performance and consumption for new and existing buildings.
- Learn how careful OS model configurations can allow for rapid alterations and manipulations.
- Learn how to use the power of OpenStudio “measures” to easily evaluate changes to your building model.
- Learn how to configure the Parametric Analysis Tool (PAT) for conducting modeling studies
- Learn how to effectively extract and interpret results from PAT modeling studies
Use the OS SketchUp Plugin to:
- Load templates for providing default values
- Import idf or gbxml files generated by other tools
- Use Sketchup tools to create building spaces (form and fabric)
- Rapidly assign space load definitions
- Rapidly assign properties using construction and schedule sets at different hierarchies
- Configure spaces for daylight controls
- Create external shading objects/surfaces
- Collect/configure spaces into Thermal Zones and assign thermostats
Use the OpenStudio Application to:
- Use BCL to retrieve Configure Zonal Central HVAC systems and controls
- Configure Central HVAC systems and controls
- Configure Service Water systems and controls
- Add BCL measures to extend baseline model
- Incorporate utility bills for model/billing comparison
- Addition of measures to provide calibration roadmap
Use Results Viewer to:
- Graphically examine detailed mode output
- Export detailed model output for further post-processing
Use Parametric Analysis Tool to:
- Select and configure OS measures from the NREL BCL
- Define simulation study by configuring Design Alternatives
- Use the Amazon EC2 resource to execute the simulation study
- Examine detailed model output
- How to create a “measure” for use in OpenStudio
- OpenStudio Measure
- EnergyPlus Measure
- Reporting Measure
- How to share measures to the BCL
- How to manage large simulation studies
Students must be familiar with NREL’s Energy Plus modeling engine and proficient on Windows hardware
Recorded OpenStudio Webinars
Demo – OpenStudio Applications and SketchUp Integration
Feb. 11th, 2014 – This demo will introduce you to the applications and plugins that make up the OpenStudio modeling ecosystem. Watch Chris click his way through the various features in OpenStudio.
Introduction to Energy Modeling with OpenStudio
Jan. 16th, 2014 – This high-level webinar will introduce you to the applications and plugins that make up the OpenStudio modeling ecosystem and teach you ways to leverage these applications to develop complex energy models and effective modeling workflows, apply crowd-sourced model components and improvements, and analyze models to identify design and improvement opportunities.
What is OpenStudio?
Subscribe to our OpenStudio training calendar to be notified of upcoming trainings. By subscribing, reminders of future trainings related to OpenStudio will be added to your personal calendar (iCal, Outlook, etc.).