Library Item Research Resources
- Air Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute
- Energy Plus Typical Meteorological Year Files
Typical weather data for more than 2100 locations: 1042 locations in the USA, 71 locations in Canada, and more than 1000 locations in 100 other countries throughout the world. The weather data are arranged by World Meteorological Organization region and Country.
Provides free calculation and download of HDD and CDD. Also has links to lots of great and easy to understand referenced for learning about degree days and working with weather files.
- Global (weather) Summary of the Day
Weather files with a variety of weather conditions around the world updated on a daily basis.
- New York State and New York City Building Codes
http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/st/ny/st/index.htm (ny state)
These links are free sources for New York building codes.
- AHRI Equipment Directory
This website provides a database of residential and commercial heating, air conditioning, water heating, and refrigeration equipment.
- Residential Energy Consumption Survey (RECS)
This site is maintained by the U.S. Energy Information Administration. It provides data and some analysis for a wide range of single family conditions across the United States.
- Energy Unit Conversions
This site provides automatic conversion between different units of energy.
- Building Energy Modeling (BEM) book from IBPSA
This free wiki contains a wide variety of building science and modeling information.
- Energy Star Products
This is a great place to find guidance on selecting energy star appliances and equipment.
- Kouba-Cavallo Refrigerator and Freezer Database and Dating Tool
The Kouba-Cavallo site is helpful for finding details on given models of refrigerators and freezers. There is also a tool to help assist in finding the age of a unit if it is not clear in the field.
- Building America House Simulation Protocols
This PDF is a useful reference for understanding energy modeling and making default assumptions.
- Home Energy Yardstick
EPA’s Home Energy Yardstick provides a simple assessment of your home’s annual energy use compared to similar homes.
- Open Energy Info
This free community editable wiki contains useful information including a database of energy incentives by state, and utility rates by zip code.
- NREL Building Component Library
This is a library of specifications and consumption data for building energy modeling.
- Xcel Energy Lighting Wattage Guide
A handy guide to the total wattage of fluorescent fixtures.
- LBNL Energy End Use Forecasting
This site contains hundreds of papers and studies regarding energy efficiency and energy modeling.
- U.S. Department of Energy Commercial Reference Building Models of the National Building Stock
This PDF can be useful in assisting with various energy modeling assumptions.