Our energy engineering services will keep your building operating at peak performance!
Good energy management begins with an understanding of how a building uses energy. This “big picture” perspective gives a solid foundation for more detailed analyses on building systems and components. A building’s energy overall consumption profile is measured and documented during the benchmarking process. Our engineers can benchmark and compare all buildings in your property portfolio based on total energy and heating, cooling and baseload energy usage. This screening highlights the buildings in most need an energy assessment and efficiency upgrades.
Our team can monitor the energy performance of your buildings, providing fast feedback about whether or not they are meeting predicted performance expectations. If not, we will figure out why, and recommend corrective action to achieve the energy saving threshold required for program incentives.
Measurement and verification (M&V) of energy and energy cost savings is playing an ever increasing role in helping building owners secure funding from financial institutions for energy efficiency projects. Studies show that less than 75% of predicted energy savings are achieved through traditional energy audits without M&V tracking. Our engineers verify that energy efficiency predictions were met, allowing owners to evaluate the actual return on investment from energy consumption reduction measures.
Let our staff of certified measurement and verification professionals (CMVP) help you on your next project.
PSD offers a suite of Building Retuning services including tiered training, consulting, mentoring or turnkey building retuning service as part of our suite of Intelligent Energy Engineering services. When the DOE’s Consortium for Building Energy Innovation (CBEI) decided they needed to develop a curriculum for their new Building Retuning process, they turned to PSD to develop and deliver the curriculum.
TREAT, our award-winning energy modeling software, is approved by the US DOE for use in weatherization in all residential building stock – from mobile homes to multifamily buildings. Our engineering team offers advanced support for this tool, including remote modeling, mentoring, and quality control.
Let our energy simulation certified staff help you on your next project.
We offer comprehensive Energy Management services, providing the combination of services you need either directly under our consultation, or as the lead contractor managing subcontractors.
PSD engineering staff can survey all building equipment, such as elevator motors, air handlers, and pumps. We will assess the condition, offer advice on time to replacement. Additionally, we can and recommend the new equipment and an estimate of savings to offer the best payback for your investment.
NREL’s OpenStudio platform for EnergyPlus is changing the way building professionals approach energy modeling – are you prepared for the shift? We offer a variety of OpenStudio support services to help you get there!
- OpenStudio Component and Measure Development
- OpenStudio API Assistance
- Strategic OpenStudio Consulting
- OpenStudio Implementation and Integration Services
During an energy audit, our engineers will assess how a building’s systems are performing, make recommendations on how the performance can be improved, and project the savings to investment ratio (SIR) so that you can make informed decisions. Our signature approach to multifamily and commercial auditing addresses the specific energy and operational needs of each unique building. Our goal is to help building owners increase the value of their property and reduce energy costs, while providing occupants with a comfortable, healthy environment.
The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) defines three levels of audits:
- Level I – includes a walk through audit, an analysis of consumption figures and documents, and a list of possible energy conservation measures.
- Level II – an in-depth quantitative analysis to verify results found in the Level I audit, and also includes a full energy audit, measurements and a list of measures for funding and implementation.
- Level III – this detailed engineering analysis gives owners a detailed evaluation of the costs and benefits of upgrades for informed capital improvement decisions.
Let our staff of NY State Professional Engineers help you on your next project.
- New York State Professional Engineers
- AEE BESA Certification Chair
- Certified Existing Building Commisioning
- Certified Energy Manager
- ASHRAE recognized Building Energy Audit
Professional (BEAP) Building Energy Modeling
- Subject matter expert on ORNL’s review panel for
the new “Technical Guidelines for Multifamily
Building Energy Audits” for the Department of
Energy (DoE) Weatherization Assistance Program
- Technical lead to Oak Ridge National Laboratory
(ORNL) for their national field evaluation of the
- Co-authored the ANSI/BPI-2400 standard
(qualifcation of energy savings estimates)
- RESNET Accredited Trainer
- EPA ENERGY STAR Partner Trainer
- Advanced Energy Certified Contractor Trainer
- RESNET Quality Assurance Designee
- Selected by NREL to perform OpenStudio training
Multifamily & Commercial
Our engineers are uniquely qualified to provide training for building managers and owners. We are one of the few companies to be selected to offer energy assessment training to government personnel at federal sites, and to offer training on advanced energy modeling for commercial buildings.